It has to go over the pits so had to fix the oil leak and the starter would not engage . After further looking I found some rust on the front inner guard from a leaking washer bottle, so it also has to be done.  Did some recearch online and found the top starter bolt is hard to find and can be a long job, so I decided to just pull the motor and tranny out, do the rust properly, fix the starter, do a service on the tranny , new hoses etc.  Then I discovered the bushes on the front suspension were badly cracked and even missing. I found some online in the uk for $170 per set. I decided to replace all the rubber up front for a total of approx $250. Who said merc's parts were expensive.  I am very surprised at the simple cost and the ease of getting them. All I need now is a rainy day to get back to it..